Looking for the Best pH Meter For Hydroponics?
When you grow hydroponically, i.e., growing on water or other nutrient-high media instead of soil, you require greater knowledge. Your mind must have a perfect blend of knowledge of chemistry and pH levels. Choosing a pH meter for hydroponics is not as easy as you think.
To minimize your confusion, I’ve researched many pH meters based on their features and quality. But, first of all, let’s have a quick look over features you need to consider before buying the best pH meter for hydroponics.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Should ‘The Best pH Meter for Hydroponics’ Provide?
- 2 Top Picks for The Best pH Meter for Hydroponics
- 2.1 1. PH Pen Pocket Tester From Bluelab | Best Overall
- 2.2 2. HI 9813-6N PH/EC/TDS Meter From Hanna Instruments | Calibration Reminder
- 2.3 3. Bluelab METCOM Combo Meter For PH & Temperature | All-In-One Meter
- 2.4 4. AI311 Premium PH Test Kit From Apera Instruments | Great Accessories
- 2.5 5. Oakton EcoTestr PH Pocket PH Meter | Leak-Proof Cap
- 3 Verdict
What Should ‘The Best pH Meter for Hydroponics’ Provide?
A good pH meter is designed to help you monitor the growth of your plants. First of all, a pH meter should accurately measure the pH level of the water or the growing area.
To narrow down the search, very few pH meters come with the option to manage the system that maintains the temperature and pH levels. In case you want a self-maintaining pH meter, you need to consider this option first.
You must also think about how handy and portable your pH meter is. You wouldn’t want to install and uninstall it so frequently. Also, don’t go beyond your budget limit and end up buying a not-so-worthy product.
Also, I prefer a brand that already has a high brand value in the market, and you’ve already had a good experience with it. It won’t be that tedious to find the best pH meter for hydroponics once you go through this article.
Top Picks for The Best pH Meter for Hydroponics
1. PH Pen Pocket Tester From Bluelab | Best Overall
Editor’s #1 Choice
- Measures pH in solution for acid or alkaline conditions to make precise up...
- EASY two point calibration and auto temperature compensation makes this...
- Double junction probe improves accuracy, reliability, and probe lifespan...
After several years of usage, I’ve considered the Bluelab pH pocket tester to be my soul mate throughout my gardening career. It gives you an accurate measurement for acid or alkaline solutions for you to take precautionary steps.
This pH meter comes with two-point calibration and automatically maintains the water temperature. Its backlit LCD and the calibration reminders make it extremely garden-friendly. This handy device features a double junction probe to enhance the accuracy of results.
Features like low battery indicator, auto-off function, and temperature units make it the most wanted product amongst most gardeners. What else do you need? This Bluelab pH meter has become my forever choice.
2. HI 9813-6N PH/EC/TDS Meter From Hanna Instruments | Calibration Reminder
- Starter set with portable, water-resistant meter for testing pH,...
- Calibration check function to validate instrument performance
- Automatic temperature compensation (ATC) to eliminate the need for extra...
Even if you are in the beginner phase of hydroponic gardening, the pH/EC/TDS meter from Hanna Instruments would be a great friend. The meter is highly portable and water-resistant.
There is a calibration check function that allows you to validate your instrument’s performance. This meter eases your work as it comes with an Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) function. I liked the fact that it comes with solutions and sachets.
Its calibration alert system wouldn’t let you forget to calibrate. I am delighted with this Hanna Instrument pH meter. In case you do not like the Bluelab one, this Hanna instrument is the perfect substitute.
3. Bluelab METCOM Combo Meter For PH & Temperature | All-In-One Meter
- Monitor 3 parameters in water: Conductivity (TDS) level to ensure plants...
- This hydroponics meter has ATC that provides consistent reading regardless...
- Combine with Bluelab meters and controllers for full indoor garden...
Bluelab combo meter is highly preferred by people who want pH, temperature, CF, and EC, all in one box. This digital meter comes with a two-point calibration and the Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) mechanism.
Giving you accurate measurements helps you monitor the nutrient levels in your garden. The backlit LCD screen and the spectacular calibration reminders are hard to miss.
This handy meter also features an auto-off mechanism, units for temperature, and a low battery indicator. Overall, this brand is good to go, as it is pretty budget-friendly also.
4. AI311 Premium PH Test Kit From Apera Instruments | Great Accessories
- NOTE: A few drops of water are added to the electrode cap before the...
- Accuracy: 0.01 pH; range: -2.00 to 16.00 pH, 32 to 122˚F (0 to 50˚C);...
- Easy 1-3 points auto. calibration, recognizes 5 types of solutions (1.68,...
The premium pH test kit from Apera Instruments is a perfect tool for hydroponic gardening. It features an easy 1–3-point automatic calibration to enhance accuracy and the ATC mechanism.
The meter automatically shuts down after 8 minutes without operation. The glass pH probe is built of high quality and is highly water-friendly. The kit includes calibration solutions, calibration bottles, storage space, and battery options. Even some of my friends prefer using Apera Instruments and receive accurate results.
5. Oakton EcoTestr PH Pocket PH Meter | Leak-Proof Cap
- Batteries: 4 A76 1.5V miniature alkaline batteries (included)
- Buffer recognition: nist and usa
- Calibration: up to 3 points
The Oakton pH EcoTestr meter will ease your hydroponic farming process. It comes with a larger display which facilitates you to monitor your gardening better.
Its indication and alarm system for calibrations, battery life, and temperature is absolutely remarkable. The kit includes a leak-proof cap for working in the field.
The designers have built it a bit wider to facilitate better measurement. It features a one-touch calibration and is very portable. Overall, this is a much-wanted product in the market.
My research and experience say that the pH pen pocket tester from Bluelab is the best one. It works effectively and gives you accurate measurements. What else are pH meters required for? Featuring the two-point calibration and the ATC function, it has grabbed a lot of market share. Bluelab has been a trusted brand for decades, so is it for me.
The rest of the products also have a lot to offer. Some offer a complete accessories kit, and others provide an excellent calibration reminder system. But, in the end, it is your decision that matters. ‘Save more, buy the best should be your motto before purchasing a pH meter. I hope this article has been helpful for you and you end up buying the best pH meter for hydroponics.
Lindsey Hyland grew up in Arizona where she studied at the University of Arizona’s Controlled Environment Agriculture Center. She continued her gardening education by working on organic farms in both rural and urban settings. She started UrbanOrganicYield.com to share gardening tips and tactics. She’s happy to talk about succulents and houseplants or vegetables and herbs – or just about anything in a backyard garden or hydroponics garden.