Mowing your lawn is one responsibility nature designated to us.
It should be seamless yet serve as exercise and save time. Self-propelled lawn mowers made doing this fun and easy.
…But there’s a downside.
These self-powered lawnmowers require you to manually pull-to-start.
Nothing is wrong with having to pull, however, we can both agree, it unnecessarily drains your energy which could lead to fatigue and is less efficient.
What do we do then? This has led to the development of the more advanced electric start self-propelled lawn mowers.
During this article, we shall look at the upside at the Best Electric start self-propelled lawn mowers available on the market as they have proven to be a durable, modern and time saving alternative.
Why should you care?
How you manage your lawn speaks volumes and guarantees the safety of you and your loved ones from wild venomous animals lurking in untrimmed lawn.
Therefore, you need an electric start self-propelled gas lawn mower that is easy-to-use and fulfils the purpose.
We will show you what you need to know to make the right choice.
Before we go too far, here is a sneak-peek, we have highlighted the key features of our top electric start self propelled lawn mowers handpicked just for you:
- 5 Of The Best Electric Start Self Propelled Lawn Mowers Of 2021
- 1. Craftsman High-Wheeled Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 2. Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch Electric Start Lawn Mower
- 3. American Lawn Mower 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- 4. Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
- 5. Toro The Company 21200 TimeMaster
- How To Buy The Best Electric Start Self Propelled Lawn Mower (Buying Guide)
- The Lawn Mowers Available On The Market
- Durable Engine Capacity
- Why Should The Engine Matter To You?
- How Comfortable Are The Handles?
- The Cutting Height
- How Do You Keep Tabs On The Measurement?
- Are Self Propelled Lawn Mowers Worth It
- Can Pushing Damage Your Self Propelled Lawn Mower?
- Can You Pull Your Lawn Mower Backwards?
- What Best Electric Start Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Should You Buy?
5 Of The Best Electric Start Self Propelled Lawn Mowers Of 2021
- Craftsman High-Wheeled Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch Electric Start Lawn Mower
- American Lawn Mower 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
- Toro The Company 21200 TimeMaster
1. Craftsman High-Wheeled Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
Starting off the list, we have a powerful 159cc OHV gasoline-powered engine featuring an electric start accompanied by auto choke. The Craftsman High-wheeled features a 21-inch cutting deck capable of trimming grass when you pass it over once.
It weighs 87 lbs.
With the unique 3-in-1 capability you get a side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching in one pack. Mulching helps put nutrients back into the soil for a greener and healthier lawn.
The front-wheel-drive is propelled by a single lever squeezebox making it possible to conveniently accelerate your mower with little to no effort.
But, how do you use this?
Starting this is straightforward, with the electric start: all you need to do is push a button. The button, powered by a DC battery features a custom charger.
As a value-added, you get a deck wash that makes maintenance super easy. How?
The underside can prevent rust and waste build-up over time thanks to the deck wash.
The 1.9-bushel dust blocker bag makes it easy to clean up or store for compost while reducing in-air dust and debris.
Wondering if you can mow on a hill?
Well, yes, because the Craftsman M275 159cc High wheel can mow hills, however, most rear-wheel and all-drive machines are best suited for uneven terrains. The dual lever, 6-position height change feature also makes it easy for you to change the cutting edges while mowing.
As an after-service…
You get a two-year warranty that covers repairs. All you need is to take it to the nearest authorized repair shop in your neighborhood.
- Engine Capacity – 159 cc.
- Wheel Drive – Front Wheel drive
- Weight – 87 lbs.
- Cutting Width – 21-inch.
- The engine is easy to maintain
- Custom made DC battery plus charger.
- The height change feature makes it possible to change cutting heights easily.
- Less dust and debris.
- It includes a mulch kit to help put nutrients back in the soil.
- You get After Service support for up to 2 years.
- The design is not appealing.
- Front-wheel drive and self-propelled.
- Powerful engine 159CC OHV gas engine.
- You get a squeezebox to conveniently accelerate.
2. Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch Electric Start Lawn Mower
Lawn-Boy 17734 is arguably the Best Electric start Self-propelled lawn mower for money can buy. The Lawn-Boy makes operating and moving your mower super easy. To get started, all you need is to turn the key and start mowing.
But before you start…
There is a free bottle of oil in the box you need to add this oil prior to first use it requires this for the best results. After adding the oil, ensure you have to add premium-quality unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 or higher.
Also, make sure you use fresh fuel of less than 30-days old and add a fuel stabilizer to reduce starting issues to the barest minimum.
Lawn-Boy has a four-stroke engine hence, you need not mix engine oil and gasoline, instead; you need to pour each in separate compartments.
The 2-point height of the cut allows you to quickly adjust the cutting height from one side of the mower. You also get a large bag capacity to bag your clippings with ease and in style. You are in control of all mowing conditions with the variable self-propel rear-wheel-drive feature.
You get the Rear Wheel-drive for improved traction and controls with little to no regard to the directions.
- Engine capacity – 146 cc
- Weight – 75 lbs.
- Starter – Electric.
- Deck Material – Steel.
- Cutting Width – 21-inches.
- Cutting system – Tri-cut.
- Cutting height – 2 points.
- Easy to fill gas tanks thanks to the oversized gas caps, this is perfect for the elderly.
- The pull-to-start is super easy to use.
- The Rear wheel drive makes maneuvers easy for a relatively flat lawn.
- The engine runs quietly and functions smoothly.
- An efficient backup starter option in case the electric start fails.
- The engine capacity is small hence you should expect low power outage.
- Super easy to start the engine just turn the keys.
- 3-in-1 discharge capability.
- Solid gas-powered engine that gives the power you need per time.
3. American Lawn Mower 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
This Lawn Mower made it to the list because it is a green and ultra-lightweight alternative that runs on electricity. It is perfect electric start self propelled lawn mower for lovers and protectors of nature.
American Lawn Mower is super easy to assemble with little to no technical expertise required making it electric start push mower best suited for homeowners with small to medium-sized lawns.
If you experience difficulty attaching the handle to the blade compartment, some additional manpower will get it done in less than 2 secs.
With that said…
American Lawn Mower is about 14-inches long with an adjustable handle that is easily foldable. With that handle, you get an Ergonomic cushioned grip that features the push to start button.
You get enough space in the rear bag, about 9.25-gallon capacity carefully positioned as not to disorient the design. This space is ideal for storing grass making clean up sleek and efficient.
More on that later…
Moving forward, this masterpiece features an 11-amp electric motor solid enough for the most rugged mowing jobs. For the best results, you might need to sharpen the blade. To get this done, you need an extra sharpening kit SK-1 which you can buy from the manufacturer.
How often you sharpen depends heavily on your maintenance practices. By default, they design this to last between 3-5 years after purchase before wearing out.
You get a 2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system including a hardtop 16 Gal grass bag with grass level indicator all for your comfort.
Do you need to lubricate this?
For optimal performance, they advise this. We recommend the WD-40 on the wheel drives and cutting edges or you can also use Silicone spray as they both produce the same results.
- Engine Capacity – 11-Amp motor.
- Size – 14 inches.
- Weight – 25.5 lbs.
- Cutting height range – 1 to 2.5”.
- Rear bag capacity – 9.25 gallons.
- Assembling is easy, anybody can get it done with minimal effort.
- Features a 2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system.
- It is very comfortable as you get multiple handle height positions.
- It is a clean air alternative as it runs on electricity.
- It is a bit too small for a self-propelled lawn mower.
- A budget-friendly option for small lawn owners.
- The most lightweight option.
- Runs on electricity.
4. Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
Are you looking for an eco-friendly alternative to gas powered lawn mower? GreenWorks self-propelled cordless lawn mower is the best battery powered choice available. And guess what? It is green. Yes, it is the only eco friendly option on the list.
Unlike the others, you get a single blade but it is efficient and time saving.
This is a battery-powered lawn mower as opposed to the gasoline-powered alternative. With GreenWorks more emphasis is on keeping the environment clean and less polluted at the same time.
To start this, you just need to push the start button. They fashion the design to fit two batteries. Interestingly, you will only use one while the engine runs and the other is kept as a reserve for backup.
Remember, the battery is sold separately but you get a charger. This increases the overall cost which does not make GreenWorks a pocket-friendly option.
How do you store this?
The 67 lbs design makes it easy to store this vertically in your garage or store as It occupies less space and blends flawlessly. Unfortunately, though, It is not self-propelled as compared to the others on the list. But consider it if you prefer eco friendly solutions.
- Size – 21-inch.
- Weight – 67 lbs.
- Deck material – Steel.
- Storage – Supports Vertical storage.
- Warranty – 4 -year.
- You get vertical storage which helps manage space.
- The best battery powered option available on the market.
- Designed to give an only eco-friendly experience.
- You only get to use a single blade which can be slow.
- Durable 21-inch steel deck.
- Eco-Friendly solution.
- 3-in-1 cutting deck.
5. Toro The Company 21200 TimeMaster
Do you enjoy walking and mowing alongside? Then Toro 21200, a 145 lbs piece of equipment coming at a heavy price tag is best suited for you. It has an electric start 223 cc OHV engine capacity.
Why should you use this?
There are several reasons to choose this classic lawn mower foremost of which is durability. Toro has a solid build with steel decks and Aluminium frames. Along with the durability, you also get 30-inch cut self-propelled twin blades.
What type of lawns do you use this on?
Toro is perfect for medium to large lawn landscapes. We do not recommend it for small lawns owners.
It has a large engine hence; it can do more in a minimal time frame.
- Engine Capacity – 223 cc.
- Starter – Electric.
- Deck Material – Steel Deck, Cast Aluminium frame.
- Cutting Width – 30- inches.
- Fuel Capacity – 1.2 gallons/hr.
- Warranty – 3-Year GTS full.
- Coming in at 30-inches makes it large enough for commercial mowing.
- Durable engine with 223 cc OHV engine capacity.
- You get twin blades for guaranteed efficiency.
- Not a good choice if you are on a budget.
- This will help you save more time.
- Heavy engine coming in at 223 cc.
- Doubles as exercise equipment so you keep fit.
How To Buy The Best Electric Start Self Propelled Lawn Mower (Buying Guide)
There are some keynote features your electric start gas or battery powered lawn mowers should possess before putting a penny on them.
But to best find one that meets your needs, you need to consider the size of your yard, the landscape: is it hilly or flat? Are there obstacles like trees you need to mow around?
And finally, do you have any specific expectations from the lawn mower? Moving forward let us start with:
The Lawn Mowers Available On The Market
- Gas-Powered Lawn Mowers
- Electric-Powered Lawn Mowers
- Battery-Powered Lawn Mowers.
The battery-powered lawn mowers are ideal for small lawns that require minimal energy in contrast to their gasoline powered counterparts ideal for medium to large lawns.
Gas-powered lawn mowers are powerful and efficient hence making them the better choice. However, the battery- and electric-powered mowers are eco-friendly alternatives for lovers and protectors of nature. The only downside is the amount of power they supply.
We recommend sticking with Gas-powered lawn mowers as the carbon dioxide they emit double as nutrients for a greener and healthier lawn.
Durable Engine Capacity
A good engine is the foundation of any long lasting product.
But you only need to cut grass….
Why Should The Engine Matter To You?
Yes, you only need it to chop off grass to make your lawn presentable beyond that, you are cleaning up habitats of venomous animals like snakes & scorpions, etc. To keep a safe, clean and green environment demands all the power available. A solid gas-powered engine is your best bet in this case.
Lawn Mowers with good Engines capacity do a cleaner job and much more efficient job saving you time.
By good engines, we recommend you stick within the 145-250 cc range.
How Comfortable Are The Handles?
This matters because the effectiveness of your whole operation will rely on how well you can push and use this part of the lawn mower. The handle has to be adjustable to all height levels while in use and in storage.
The Cutting Height
How high you cut your matters for consistency and a regular finished product. A general rule of thumb has the regular height at 2.5 inches, at each mowing you should only remove the top one-third of the grass.
How Do You Keep Tabs On The Measurement?
It will be ridiculous to take a measuring tape to your lawn whenever it is time to mow. We recommend you draw a visible line with an arrow at one tire that stands 3 ⅔ inches above surface level.
Mowing should be an art that is why it looks beautiful and presentable after each fresh cut hence adjusting your lawn mower to meet this is one thing but your lawn mower should come with this inbuilt feature.
Are Self Propelled Lawn Mowers Worth It
Absolutely, they are best suited for areas within ¾ acres and above. They help reduce fatigue associated with mowing as they are designed to push themselves. All you need is to walk behind them, give control and directions.
The front and rear wheel drive make it exceptionally easy to maneuver and turn allowing up to 180-degrees turns and give better traction on hills with steering controls.
Can Pushing Damage Your Self Propelled Lawn Mower?
Not, pushing your self propelled lawn mowers should not cause any kind of damage. The only concern is, will you be able to? Self-Propelled lawn mowers are slightly heavier than the push-propelled counterpart.
But back to the question, expect no damage from pushing, however, there is no need.
Can You Pull Your Lawn Mower Backwards?
Yes you can, but this is not an effective cutting approach as many at times the grass will not get discharged from underneath the deck. The cuts become irregular and mowing backwards because the blades are running in reverse. So a good recommendation, mow forward especially when using self-propelled lawn mowers.
What Best Electric Start Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Should You Buy?
We have prepared the top five picks, there various reasons you will need a self propelled lawn mower with electric start. If you want a durable, budget-friendly, gas-powered, time and energy saving recommendation then we strongly recommend:
Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch Electric Start Lawn Mower. As it meets all these criteria. However, if what you have a couple more bucks to spend then you can go with Toro The Company 21200 TimeMaster With this you save time and get more power.
From his childhood obsession with gardening to the decade he spent operating a hobby farm, Eric has developed over four decades of experience in self-sufficiency. Not only does this include the organic elements of growing and tending plants, but it also includes a wealth of experience in
maintaining lawns, landscaping, and equipment.