Your grow room should never be too warm or too cold.
To help you keep the temperature ideal in your grow room, one of the best things that you can do is to get a grow tent heater. It can be quite overwhelming to choose which heater is the best, but I’m here to help you out.
What Kind Of Heater Should I Use In A Grow Room Or Tent?
There are plenty of types of heaters out there that you could get. However, not all these types can be compatible with your grow room.
Here are the common types of heaters that a lot of gardeners use in their grow space.
1. Electric Heater
An electric heater functions just like how its name sounds. It’s a type of heater that converts electricity or electrical energy into heat.
Instead of gathering heat from its environment, it instead gathers electricity that passes through its resistor and comes out as heat energy.
2. Hydronic Heater
This may be the most efficient type of heater that you could use not only in your grow room, but also all throughout your house.
A hydronic heater simply heats water and allows it to move through closed pipes throughout your place, including your grow space.
3. Oil Filled Radiator Heater
This type of heater still requires electricity to run, but it’s still dependent on oil. This sounds like it involves burning the oil in its reservoir, but it’s not how it works.
What it does is that it uses the oil as a heat reservoir. The oil is what becomes the heating agent as it flows around the cavities of the heater.
4. Ceramic Heater
A ceramic heater is mainly ideal for small spaces, and so this is perfect to use for a small grow space or area.
It’s a bit similar to fan heaters as this, after all, still works with a fan. What it really does is that it generates heat through a heating element of a ceramic.
5. Duct Fan
A duct fan is also something that you could use to heat up your grow room. It is also known as an inline fan. This is best for people who would like to save space in their grow space.
It could be very efficient as most duct or inline fans made for grow room nowadays are multi-purpose. This means that these can be used for both cooling and heating.
What You Should Really Look for When Shopping for a Grow Tent Heater
Now, if you haven’t purchased a grow room heater before, it may be hard to choose which one it is that you really need for your grow room.
While I already gave you a few great choices of what you could get, it’s perfectly fine to still want to know some options for yourself.
There are multiple things that you should look for when you’re shopping for the right heater. What you really should keep in mind is that the perfect heater will really depend on the grow room, tent, or space that you have.
If you don’t know what you should be looking for when shopping for the best heater for your grow room, here are some ideas:
- Required power usage – you’ll need to check how many watts the heater will require for it to run. This will let you know what to expect when it comes to how much your electricity bill will be once you use it.
- Type of heat – this will be mainly dictated by the type of heater you’re looking at. There are heaters that would function as a fan, while some are rather stationary.
- Auto Power – There are now heaters out there that have this feature. This is not required but it could be very convenient especially if you can’t monitor your grow room for a day or a few.
- The size capacity – a heater will be useless if it’s too small for your grow space. Know how big your grow room is so that you know how powerful your heater should be.
- Energy Efficiency – Most of the time, it’s the electronic heater that is 100 percent efficient. This means the energy it uses doesn’t turn into harmful waste.
Heaters for your Grow Tent or Grow Room
The success of growing your plants indoors is dictated by a few things, and the temperature in your grow room is one of these.
If your grow room is cold, the oxygen level inside is more likely high. When this is the case, germination is less likely to happen.
Another thing that could happen when your grow room is high in oxygen level is that the roots of your plants will absorb too much oxygen.
This will simply result in poor plant growth. There’s also a high chance that your grow room will be too damp for your plants.
And so, a grow room heater is just ideal to include in your setup, especially if you live in a place where the cold is constant.
However, it’s still ideal to have even if you live in a warm place as it’s something that can still be useful during winter.
And so here is the part where I share my suggestions about what may be the best set of grow tent heaters out there.
I’ve compiled a list of different types of heaters that I find very efficient when it comes to grow room usage.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Kind Of Heater Should I Use In A Grow Room Or Tent?
- 2 What You Should Really Look for When Shopping for a Grow Tent Heater
- 3 Heaters for your Grow Tent or Grow Room
- 4 Best Heaters For Your Grow Tent – Reviews & Buying Guide For 2023
- 4.1 1. Best For 5×5 Grow Tent: Aikoper 1500W Small Electric Portable Space Heater
- 4.2 2. Best For 4X4 Grow Tent: AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4 4” Inline Duct Fan
- 4.3 3. Best For Grow Room: Brightown’s 400W Portable Ceramic Mini-Heater
- 4.4 4. Best For 8×8 Grow Tent: Pro Breeze Space Heater – 1500W Electric Heater
- 5 Benefits Of A Heater For The Grow Tent Or Grow Room
- 6 Best Heaters for Cannabis Grow Tents and Grow Rooms
Best Heaters For Your Grow Tent – Reviews & Buying Guide For 2023
- Aikoper 1500W Small Electric Portable Space Heater
- AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4 4’’ Inline Duct Fan
- Brightown’s 400-Watt Portable Ceramic Mini-Heater
- Pro Breeze Space Heater – 1500W Electric Heater
1. Best For 5×5 Grow Tent: Aikoper 1500W Small Electric Portable Space Heater
- GET NICE & TOASTY FASTER: The advanced PTC ceraming heating technology...
- CUT DOWN ON ELECTRIC BILLS without having to freeze. Our energy-efficient...
- ADJUST THE TEMPERATURE TO YOUR NEEDS: Equipped with an adjustable...
- Energy-saving setting
- One-touch swing button
- Auto shut-off feature after 12 hours
- Safety tip-over switch
The Aikoper1500W Space Heater is a ceramic space heater that you can bring anywhere. This makes it a great buy as you can also use it when camping. Its modern look is also a great addition to your grow space.
This portable heater is a 1500-watt energy-saving space heater. This is ideal for 4×4 grow tents and even up to 5×5 grow tent sizes. It could quickly heat up your grow space for just two seconds.
It needs a 12-volt power source. Its sleek design is also what makes it very appealing.
This is designed to be used indoors so rest assured it is safe to use. You won’t have to get a ventilation system to exhaust the air as there is no carbon monoxide to be worried about.
Another great feature is that it automatically shuts off when it gets too hot. So you also won’t have to worry about your grow room getting too warm.
It has three functions: High Heating, Low Heating, and Natural Wind, so this means that it can also function as a fan.
You can also use the fan with no heat during the summer when your grow room doesn’t require heating.
It has a swing feature so it means that it could deliver wide-angle heat with automatic oscillation. It basically looks like one of those bladeless fans that you can get.
Once the heater shuts-off but you still need it to work, you’ll have to wait for 8 seconds before it can power up again.
2. Best For 4X4 Grow Tent: AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4 4” Inline Duct Fan
- Designed to ventilate hydroponic grow rooms, transfer heating/cooling, cool...
- Dynamic temperature and humidity programming, with timers, grow cycles,...
- Connect with our app via Bluetooth to access advance programs, alarms,...
- Ventilate function
- Smart Programming
- Quiet PWM motor
- Plug and play
This inline duct fan is designed to quickly and quietly heat and also cool your grow space.
This inline fan from CLOUDLINE is specifically made for grow rooms or hydroponics setup.
This could work as part of your ventilation system as it could both heat and cool your grow space quietly and efficiently.
Its airflow can go up to 152 CFM and it’s very quiet as it could only produce a maximum of 28 dBA.
This duct fan only requires 12 Volts to power up and uses 15 watts of power. It could operate at a temperature of 14 to 230°F.
Its smart programming feature includes an intelligent controller that allows you to control its temperature. It has precise temperature sensors too.
The life expectancy of this in-line duct fan is up to 67,000 hours.
It’s very straightforward to use as it is a plug-and-play device.
3. Best For Grow Room: Brightown’s 400W Portable Ceramic Mini-Heater
- 【Brightown Mini Heater】Single on/off switch on the back of electric...
- 【Low Wattage Small Heater 】 400 watt, 120 volt AC, 3.63 amps. Low...
- 【Quiet and Fast Heating】 Brightown electric heater puts out a pretty...
- Low-Power input
- Auto shut-off feature
Perfect for small to medium-sized grow spaces, Brightown’s portable ceramic mini-heater is another energy-efficient and budget heater that you can get.
However, you can also use this in your grow space or tent that is up to 5×5 big. It’s ETL-Listed, and so it only means that it is safe to use.
It has an auto-shutoff feature. This device automatically shuts off when its internal components reach a specific temperature.
It claims to be quiet but some users said they would still hear a bit of humming sound.
It only runs in 400 watts of power so this is not too bad and won’t be a great addition to your electricity bill.
The manufacturer pointed out that this should never be used in damp or wet locations. This is why it should be partnered with a dehumidifier when you place it in your grow tent or room.
4. Best For 8×8 Grow Tent: Pro Breeze Space Heater – 1500W Electric Heater
- Cost-Efficient, Super Fast Warming: This electric heater is engineered with...
- Powerful Heating: This small space heater features 750W (Low) and 1500W...
- Adjustable Thermostat: This portable heater with thermostat features an...
- Adjustable thermostat
- Quick and Easy Heat
- Overheat protection
- Tip-over protection
The Pro Breeze Space Heater is quiet and safe to use indoors, like in your grow room. It is compact in size, but it’s still a powerful space heater.
Small but terrible, this space heater runs on up to 1500 watts of power supply. You also have the option to just use it at the low setting where it uses 800 watts of power.
It is also ELT-Listed so it’s generally safe to use indoors. It also comes with tip-over protection, which means that this heater would automatically shut off if it accidentally tips over.
The same goes for its overheat protection feature. This heater automatically shuts off if it becomes too hot.
What’s great is that it can also automatically turn on and get back to work once it has cooled down. You won’t have to worry about it overheating ever.
It has three settings: Low heat, high heat, and fan setting. And so, you can still use this during the summer to cool off your grow space.
Since it has fan settings, it can also blow heat out of your grow space. It can oscillate in all settings or modes, so it could cover a wide range of your space.
Another great feature is its carrying handle. Which makes it easy for you to take it anywhere. The adjustable thermostat that it has worked when the heater is in high heating mode.
It means that it can maintain consistent heat according to its thermostat setting. There’s no need for you to consistently check on it when it’s in high heat mode.
Benefits Of A Heater For The Grow Tent Or Grow Room
Aside from avoiding the problems I’ve mentioned above, getting a grow room heater can do you and your plants more good.
It’s simply the perfect device that could help you control the temperature in your grow space.
Whether you live in a cold place or not, there are times when the heat is simply hard to come by.
It could be because your grow space is enclosed or sealed or that your grow room is in a separate place with no furnace.
It’s also possible that your light setup is not producing enough heat or warmth for your plants.
You’ll know that this is what’s happening if you check the temperature in your tent. The ideal temperature should range from 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Best Heaters for Cannabis Grow Tents and Grow Rooms
The truth is that the best heater will really depend on the kind of grow room you have. The size and the power of the heater are what you should mainly look at. If you are a beginner and are looking for tips on how to set up a grow tent or a grow box, these simple tips should be helpful.
Other features are simply good points to consider if the heater you’re looking at is right for you.
The general rule is that you should get a high-power heater if you have a big grow space.
Meanwhile, if you only work with grow tents, you can just get portable heating devices that could already work with just 300 or 400 watts of power supply.
I’d generally suggest just sticking with electric heaters and avoiding oil-filled ones as they may require more maintenance.
I hope this list helped you out when it comes to deciding which grow room heater you should get!
Lindsey Hyland grew up in Arizona where she studied at the University of Arizona’s Controlled Environment Agriculture Center. She continued her gardening education by working on organic farms in both rural and urban settings. She started UrbanOrganicYield.com to share gardening tips and tactics. She’s happy to talk about succulents and houseplants or vegetables and herbs – or just about anything in a backyard garden or hydroponics garden.