Makita XMU04Z Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
Snow Joe HJ604C Cordless Grass Shear
Scotts Outdoor LSS10172S 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
Gardena 8885-U 3-Inch Cordless Lithium-Ion Grass Shears
BLACK+DECKER GSL35 3.6-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Grass Shear
If you enjoy the art of trimming your lawn so as to keep it evergreen and beautiful.
Guess what? You are not alone.
I have been at it for over the past decade. My Lawn has “Awesome” neatly trimmed and you can see it if you are close enough.
However, we can both agree on one thing: doing it with manual shears is a form of exercise which is good. But it is also “manual” making it time-consuming and energy-draining.I found a quick fix…
With the Best Cordless Grass Shears, trimming just became much more fun. The tool equips you with the ability to do more in less timeframe.
With so much passion for my art, I am able to focus on precision, save time and produce enviable results.To make your life a lot easier…
We have prepared this review to help guide you to the Best Cordless Grass Shears available on the market today.
You will never run out of options as there are many manufacturers on the market.Unfortunately, most of these manufacturers are focused on sales.
With only a tiny fraction focusing on the things that do matter.
It is our duty to ensure you make the right choice and get the best electric grass shears that suit your needs and meets your budget.
In no particular order, we have highlighted some of the key attributes of each, we encourage you to take a minute to read through each individual review:
- 8 Of The Best Cordless Grass Shears Of 2020
- 1. Makita XMU04Z Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
- 2. Snow Joe HJ604C Cordless Grass Shear
- 3. Scotts Outdoor LSS10172S 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
- 4. Gardena 8885-U 3-Inch Cordless Lithium-Ion Grass Shears
- 5. BLACK+DECKER GSL35 3.6-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Grass Shear
- 6. Sun Joe HJ605CC Cordless 2-In-1 Grass Shear
- 7. Earthwise Cordless Rechargeable 2-In-1 Shrub Shear
- 8. SereneLife Long-Handle Cordless Grass Shears
- What Do You Look Out For In The Best Cordless Grass Shears (Buying Guide)
- Size And Weight
- What Is An Ideal Weight Then?
- Battery Life
- Design, Grip, And Ergonomics
- Consider The Blade Length
- Warranty And Accessibility Of Spare Parts
- How To Use Cordless Grass Shears
- Below Are Some Measures To Mitigate Accidents
- Final Thoughts… Choosing The Best Cordless Grass Shears
8 Of The Best Cordless Grass Shears Of 2020
- Makita XMU04Z Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
- Snow Joe HJ604C Cordless Grass Shear
- Scotts Outdoor LSS10172S 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
- Gardena 8885-U 3-Inch Cordless Lithium-Ion Grass Shears
- BLACK+DECKER GSL35 3.6-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Grass Shear
- Sun Joe HJ605CC Cordless 2-In-1 Grass Shear
- Earthwise Cordless Rechargeable 2-In-1 Shrub Shear
- SereneLife Long-Handle Cordless Grass Shears
1. Makita XMU04Z Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
Makita is a well-known brand in the home and garden space. They manufacture high-end lawn care products. The Makita XMU04Z cordless grass shears are no exception as you get value. But, why buy this?
Makita XMU04Z made it to the list not just because it is a cordless grass shear but it is also one of the most lightweight options available coming in at less than 4lbs.
This model is best used with the removable 18-volt LXT Lithium-ion 5.0Ah battery.The battery is designed to power the 2500 SPM motor. This motor makes the operation efficient hence Makita functions like a heavy-duty power tool while maintaining its compact build.
All you need is a light touch to beautifully takedown any stubborn grass.Hence…If you operate a mid-sized lawn you will be done putting it in good shape within a minimal timeframe. For improved results, it is encouraged to use the dual-blade action cut.
Overall thought?Makita XMU04Z is a solid tool that produces power when you need it, you also get to adjust the cutting height at will (9/16’, ¾’ and 1’).
To cap it, you get up to 200 minutes runtime at a full charge thanks to the long-lasting battery capacity.
- Battery runtime – 200 minutes.
- Weight – 3.7 lbs.
- Battery – 18V removable.
- Huge 18 volts battery.
- Works best on its own.
- Cutting height adjustment.
- You get over three hours runtime at full charge.
- Lacks handle to make working while standing easier.
- Cutting is super efficient with a motor delivering 2500 RPM.
- Guaranteed runtimes of up over 3 hours.
- Improved results with dual blade action.
2. Snow Joe HJ604C Cordless Grass Shear
Why should you consider this?
Powering the tool is instant and can be done with the push of a button. Like many on the list, this comes with a 7.2 V Lithium-ion rechargeable battery making it maintenance-free with no need for gas or oil which yields hydrocarbon emissions.
The design is best suited for small gardens, hedge grooming, and target areas your mowers cannot reach.
With the interchangeable blades, you can easily switch from grass shears to hedgers making it versatile enough to meet your needs. You get a 4-inch grass shear blade and 6-inch hedge trimmer.
You boast slightly 60 mins runtime when you charge for 180-300 mins which may not be super great but keeps you powered enough to get the job done.
- Battery Runtime – 45 mins.
- Weight – 2.5 lbs.
- Warranty – 2 years.
- Snow joe is easy to operate and maintain.
- Safety Switches are available in case of accidental startups.
- This features the standard 7,2V Lithium-ion battery.
- Instantly start the engine with the push of a button.
- ETL certified.
- The battery life is not so great as it lasts for less than an hour at full charge.
- Coming in at 2.5 lbs makes this super lightweight.
- You get a rechargeable 7.2 V lithium-ion battery for hassle-free cordless operation.
- Presence of charge indicators.
3. Scotts Outdoor LSS10172S 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
You deserve the best hand grass trimmers…
Hence, you should consider the Scotts Outdoor LSS10172S. Coming in at 1.6 lbs this is ultra-lightweight, rechargeable, and easy to use.
The inbuilt 7.2v lithium-ion battery will supply you with all the power you need to carefully produce the design you envisioned.
For incredible battery performance, it is advisable to store the tool at a 90-95 % charge to minimize plating hence ensuring longevity.
Scotts confidently boasts a 2-year manufacturer warranty.
- Weight – 1.6 lbs.
- Voltage Rating – 7.2v.
- Warranty – 2 years.
- Battery Type – Lithium-ion.
- Weighing barely 1.6 lbs makes this convenient to operate.
- The batteries are inbuilt hence making them irreplaceable. If something goes wrong with them you would need alternative cordless grass shears.
- Conveniently switch between a 6.5” hedge blade and 4” shear blade.
- Features a cushioned soft-grip handle to make cutting easy.
- All batteries, no cords, no oil or gas making it eco-friendly.
4. Gardena 8885-U 3-Inch Cordless Lithium-Ion Grass Shears
Gardena is the best value on the market, coming in at 1.2 lbs makes it feel like you are not holding anything at all.
However, it operates as heavy-duty equipment capable of handling any job you throw at it. Observe the build…
It boasts of an ergonomic design that fits perfectly into the hands’ thanks to the pivoting comfort handle that easily adapts to naturally adapts to all working positions. You are also guaranteed perfect cutting precision with the non-stick coated quality blades for performance and durability.
Backed by a powerful battery 2.6V battery you get 80 mins runtime at full charge. There is also an LED display that shows the battery level and charging status. The best part?
With Gardena cordless grass clippers it super easy to convert your shrub shears to grass shears making it an all-rounder for your garden.
The shears are best suited for cutting lawn edges, forming and trimming boxwood and pruning bushes and shrubs.
- Weight – 1.21 lbs.
- Cutting Width – 3.15 inches.
- Runtime – 80 mins.
- Warranty – 25 years.
- One of the most lightweight cordless grass shear available on the market.
- You get an LED display that shows the battery level and charging status.
- This boasts a 25-year warranty which is absolutely mindblowing.
- Features an average cutting time.
- You get an intrinsic design with an LED display of the battery charging status.
- To keep you safe, it features blade protection.
- Operate this for 45 mins at full charge usually (6 hours).
5. BLACK+DECKER GSL35 3.6-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Grass Shear
Looking to work smarter, faster and keep your lawn greener?
Then you should consider Black+Decker cordless compact grass shears. Why though?
This features an interchangeable blade system that allows easy conversion from a grass shear to a detail Shrubber for maximum convenience and versatility. Black+Decker is powered by a 3.6V rechargeable lithium-ion which has a 24 mins runtime at a 720 mins charge time.
The 1.7 lbs design is super lightweight giving you more control and less fatigue while trimming.
You also get the option of an extension handler sold separately to give you longer reach and more versatility. There is also an LED charge indicator which ensures you are in the
- Weight – 2.25 lbs.
- Cutting Width – 4.0 Inches.
- Operating time – 45 mins (¾ hrs)
- Voltage – 3.60 V
- Charge time – 720 mins (6 hrs).
- Warranty – 2 years.
- Compact 1.7 lbs design gives all the flexibility you need.
- You get all the versatility you need with interchangeable blades.
- Features 2-year warranty questions asked.
- You do not get the much-needed trigger button.
- The long charge time does not make it an efficient choice.
- It weighs just 1.7 lbs.
- You get 24 mins of run time when in full charge.
- Backed by 2-year limited warranty.
6. Sun Joe HJ605CC Cordless 2-In-1 Grass Shear
With this powerful electric grass shear; goodbye to bending, crawling or straining in pursuit of a clean garden. Sun Joe is a multipurpose tool that either function as a grass shear or hedge trimmer.
This is made possible with the interchangeable blades.About the blades…You get 4 inches shear blades and 6-inch trimmer blade to give you your small garden a neat and tidy look, just the way you like it.But that’s not all…
This masterpiece is also accompanied by a 7.2 V lithium-ion battery (1500mAH) for a hassle-free cordless experience.
With the push of a button you are in control and not just that, you get up to 90 mins of run-time, isn’t that incredible?
Wait till we get to the best part…With Sun Joe, you also get a 3- foot detachable poll which removes the need to bend or strain.Additionally, there is an angle adjustment button making it possible to shear from any direction.We can both agree, this makes life a lot easier.
To keep you safe and your family, there is a safety switch, to get this to work, the two buttons have to be pushed in opposite directions and there is a detailed manual for more insights.
This helps prevents accidental starts and intentional stopsSun Joe is ETL approved and accompanied by a full 2-year warranty in case anything goes wrong.
- Weight – 3.5 lbs.
- Battery Capacity – 1500 mAH.
- Blade Material – steel.
- Voltage – 7.2 V.
- It features angle adjustment.
- You get a roughly 90 mins runtime.
- It meets ETL certification standards.
- Features a full 2-year warranty.
- Occasionally, extended polls do not stay extended as they tend to slip down under pressure.
- Best suited for small gardens.
- It is a two in one tool.
- Worry less about maintenance or gas.
7. Earthwise Cordless Rechargeable 2-In-1 Shrub Shear
Handle this like a clipper as it is small, compact and easy to use and you sure will get the results comparable to a well-shaved haircut. How do you use this?
To get started, simply press the safety buttons on the side, pull the trigger and that’s about it.
You can easily switch attachments as well by just pressing the release buttons on the top front of the shear and remove the current attachment. Let’s talk about the design…
Earthwise features a minimalistic design. The padded grip makes it comfortable to carry weighing barely over 1lbs makes it the most lightweight option available on the market today.
You get a 6.3-inch hedge trimmer and 3-inch grass steel shear blades. Interchanging the blades can be done is secs thanks to the detachable molded mounted plates.Introducing the battery… You get a 3.6V 1500 mAH battery averaging 45 mins runtime (on a full charge).
You also get an LED light charging indicator which helps you keep track of the battery charge.It is highly recommended to disconnect the tool when fully charged for a healthier and long-lasting battery life.On a precautionary note…
During use, you will experience slight jams. This is usually a result of stems stuck in the engine.Remember to always stop the engine before touching the blade area.
- Weight – 1 lbs.
- Voltage – 3.6 V
- Battery Type – Lithium-Ion.
- Blade type – Steel.
- Battery capacity – 1500mAH.
- Run time – 45 mins.
- Ultra Lightweight (1 lb), making it one of the lightest tools you will ever use.
- Simple and comfortable design.
- Works seamlessly provided you remember to lubricate the blades.
- Finding replacement parts especially battery could be a hassle.
- Features a padded grip for comfort.
- You get hedge trimmer adjustment.
- Built-in LED charging indicator.
8. SereneLife Long-Handle Cordless Grass Shears
Yet another lawn care addition to your repertoire. Serenelife’s simple design creates an incredible user experience alongside impressive results. A closer look…
Weighing less than 4 lbs is ideal to guarantee comfort during extended periods of use.
However, to keep things simple, you get to use state of the art glide cut technology for convenient hassle-free telescoping. For precision and control, the hedge trimmers feature an integrated blade guard, safety power lock and comfortable handheld grips.
You get a 7.2V lithium Ion battery that takes roughly 3-6 hrs to charge.
- Weight – 3.8 lbs.
- Voltage – 7.2V.
- Battery Type – Lithium-Ion.
- It features glade-cut technology for hassle-free user experience,
- Optimal precision and control.
- Comfortable grip and overall design.
- Takes 3-6 hrs to attain full charge making it a bit inefficient.
- Guaranteed precision and control.
- Very easy to use.
- With this landscaping is super easy.
What Do You Look Out For In The Best Cordless Grass Shears (Buying Guide)
We shall be taking a look at some of the key attributes to look out for when shopping for the best cordless grass trimmer.
Size And Weight
Cordless grass shears are hand-operated hence we need to factor in the weight/size so we do not get tired so quickly.
The reason being…
Convenience is why you would go for cordless grass trimmer in the first place. We can both agree that having too much weight aborts the purpose.
What Is An Ideal Weight Then?
It is therefore highly recommended to stick within the 1-3 lbs range.
Nobody needs a powerful tool unable to stay on long enough to get the job done. The secret to incredible user experience is a durable battery.
Most manufacturers clearly indicate the battery specs. It is always safe to stick with lithium-ion batteries in contrast to the nickel-cadmium counterparts.
Something called “Memory effect” which is peculiar to nickel-cadmium batteries. To keep it short, this occurs when your battery is given a partial charge, it usually remembers where the charge began.
However, if the charge drops below that point there will be a loss in voltage. You will never experience this with a lithium-ion battery, hence, they are the best choice.
Still on Batteries…
It is advisable to also check the battery voltage as well. For electric grass shears, they normally fall within the 3.6-volt range and some can go as high as 7.2 volts.
The implication of having more volt is more weight. In other words, the more voltage you need the more weight you carry. On the bright side, more volts guarantees a smoother experience.
This is an integral part of any purchase. Many at times, paying more does not usually guarantee value. A good blend of durability, affordability, and quality while keeping things simple is the goal.
What should you do?
You should have a budget range in mind as this will help in the decision-making process.
Design, Grip, And Ergonomics
Although, there is no need for stylish designs as grass shears are rugged tools designed to take on rugged tasks.
Design and comfort come hand in hand. The last thing you need is a tool that does not fit into your hands, even if it gets the job done.
This is important if you are involved in thorough topiary sculpting as it requires attention to detail.
You should be able to comfortably hold your shears and this is made possible with the grip. For convenience, it is advised to stick with a simple rubber grip design.
Consider The Blade Length
When looking at blade lengths, it is safe to say that bigger blades are not always the best. Your needs do not require large tools and longer blades just make things unnecessarily bogus.
The grass shears available on the market today normally come with interchangeable blades with one designed like a hedge trimmer (6-8 inches long) and the other usually shorter (4-5 inches long).
Warranty And Accessibility Of Spare Parts
Most manufacturers give anywhere between a 2-3 year warranty.
How To Use Cordless Grass Shears
Few precautionary measures:In as much as your cordless grass shear is easy to use and possess little to no threats to life, bear in mind, they are sharp tools.
Hence, we need some measures in place to avoid risks and potential regrets. Study shows that most of the injuries associated with grass shears are lacerations (deep cuts in fingers/hand).
Below Are Some Measures To Mitigate Accidents
- Ensure the blades are sharpened and well lubricated as this helps you get the job done seamlessly. It also prevents friction that normally results in loss of control.
- Protect your eyes with any eye protection of your choice. Why? During operation, there are chances of getting in contact with debris and this helps protect your vision.
- Use thick gloves as they help keep your hands safe in case of accidents.
- Read manufacturers manuals
Final Thoughts… Choosing The Best Cordless Grass Shears
Should not be a hassle provided you follow the necessary guide. Nevertheless, if you find yourself at a crossroad we highly recommend the…
Gardena 8885-U 3-Inch Cordless Lithium-Ion Grass Shears. It is lightweight, has a fair runtime and comes at a good price.
Lindsey Hyland grew up in Arizona where she attended University of Arizona’s Controlled Environment Agriculture. She supplemented her education by working on various organic farms in both rural and urban settings. She started Urban Organic Yield to discuss gardening tips and tactics. Growing and raising just about anything gets her very excited. She is especially passionate about sustainable ways to better run small-scale farms, homesteads, urban farming and indoor gardening.
Last Updated on